The world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is packed with a wide variety of tools and every SEO professional out there has their own set of favorites that they like to use. As you may imagine, some of the best SEO tools can be quite expensive and they might even require an active monthly subscription. These SEO tools are most suitable for bigger companies and agencies that need all the advanced features the world of SEO has to offer.
Smaller businesses, on the other hand, cannot justify the price of some of those tools when they might only be used every once in a while. In this case, using a collection of free tools instead of a single pricy SEO machine is pretty much always a better option for these businesses. However, since there are so many different options to choose from, picking just a few tools might not be the easiest thing in the world, especially for a starting content writing professional who would like to pump out some nice SEO articles for their clients. With this in mind, here’s our list of some of the best SEO tools out there that require absolutely no payment!
1. Google Search Console
If you’re using your website to promote your awesome article writing services, one tool that you should start using is Google Search Console. This is Google’s own tool whose main goal is to help you keep track of your Google visibility. The following is a list of some of the things that this tool can help you find out:
What keywords bring traffic to your website
How many times you’ve appeared in the search results
The average ranking for your keywords and website pages
How well your website is indexed by the Google database
2. Lighthouse Lighthouse is a tool that is exclusive to the Google Chrome browser. So, if you’re a Google Chrome user, you can easily access this tool either via the browser menu or by pressing F12 on your keyboard. The tool is located in the Audits tab. Lighthouse is an auditing tool that can run five different audits on the current page that you’re looking at and it’s all done with the press of a single button. As a nice bonus, this tool also contains links to further explanations of all problems found.
3. Screaming Frog Screaming Frog is a great tool that makes its way through your website and collects a lot of useful information from each page individually. With this tool, you can scan 500 URLs for free, which is more than enough for many small websites. This tool alone can help you identify even the most technical issues that your website might be suffering from, including the following things:
Titles, meta descriptions, and h-headers
4. Structured Data Testing Tool Structuring your data is one of the most useful ways of marking information on your website in such a way that search engines can easily read and understand everything. Unfortunately, more often than not, this isn’t the easiest thing to pull off in the world. Structured Data Testing Tool can help you find out whether or not your website data implementation was done correctly.
5. Ahrefs There’s absolutely no doubt that Ahrefs is one of the most complete free SEO tools that you could find these days. If you don’t have the budget to afford one of those costly full-package SEO tools, you should give Ahrefs a chance. One of the best things about Ahrefs is the fact that it comes with a plethora of options that could come in handy in many different situations. The following are some of the tool’s keyword research features:
Bing, Amazon, and YouTube keyword tool
Keyword rank checker
Keyword difficulty checker
6. Keywords Everywhere Keywords Everywhere is a Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox add-on that makes keyword search volume data appear next to Google search results, as well as some other tools. This includes things like Google Search Console, Google Trends, Google Analytics, and YouTube. One big benefit of using Keywords Everywhere is that you can get search volume for keywords without having to use any other tool for single queries that you’re working on. Also, since this add-on is constantly running in the background, you slowly start realizing just how popular certain keywords are without even realizing it.
If you fancy yourself an article writing professional, then you already know just how difficult it can be to come up with good keywords for your work sometimes. Well, the good news is that there are numerous tools out there that can help you find good keywords and check their search volume. Unfortunately, most of these tools require some kind of payment to do what you want them to do. One exception to this rule is an SEO tool by the name of Ubersuggest. This tool offers several useful features - and it does it completely free of charge.
8. SERP Simulator
When it comes to increasing the Click Through Rate for your website, fine-tuning your search results is one of the most important things you need to do. And if you want your results to look as good as they possibly can, SERP Simulator can help you gain a better understanding of what you’re doing and it can also help you keep both your page title and your meta description at the right length.
9. Yoast SEO
Of all the free SEO tools out there, Yoast SEO has to be one of the most comprehensive ones to ever see the light of day. This tool comes with some basic functions like speed optimization and link checking, and it also analyzes your content to ensure that it’s both reader-friendly and SEO-optimized. Yoast SEO also has some powerful indexing features that could help your website when it comes to getting indexed by search engines.
In its nature, SimilarWeb is a competitive marketing and analysis intelligence platform. Its free Google Chrome plugins are free SEO tools that do a great job of finding similar websites and analyzing them. The main idea here is to find out what your competitors might be doing a little bit better than you in terms of SEO. This includes things like keyword rankings, website performance, and more. From there, you can use some of the other tools from this list to improve your overall ranking.
As a website owner, paying a lot of money for a good SEO tool might seem like a good idea to some people - and this is a valid thought. However, not every business can afford to do something like this. Thankfully, these free SEO tools allow you to make many different improvements without having to pay a fortune.